Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Equal Rights

I realize that by writing this blog, I'm stepping into very controversial waters, and I'm OK with that. I am not here to write about only things that will make people feel good, but maybe things that will make people uncomfortable once in a while as well. That being said, I will get down to the matter at hand.

Every day in the United States of America people battle for equal rights. New laws are enacted to give certain groups the same rights that other groups have experienced for years. The most notable groups that fight for rights are fighting for women's rights and gay rights.

Women want to be treated equally in the workplace. They do not want to be discriminated against just because of the fact that they are a women. They want equal pay, equal opportunities and fair evaluations. Women want to be allowed to join the military should they choose that career path, and not feel any repercussions based on their sex.

A huge issue in the news right now is equal rights for gays and lesbians. Homosexual couples want to be able to marry and have the same rights as a "traditional" or straight couple. Homosexual couples want equal health benefits, which is a huge issue in a time where government mandated employer health benefits are getting closer and closer.

There are many people who fight daily for their rights claiming that they have in some way been discriminated against, so I want to raise my voice among the masses, adding my protest to the others and show how I am being discriminated against with no cause at all.

I used to have seizures. I used to have seizures so violently that I was prohibited from driving, because I was a danger to myself, and I was a danger to others.  Now, however, after years of working with different doctors and trying different medications, I am seizure free.

I have been seizure free for several years, and now have a driver's license, work a job, have a family and live a normal life. If I didn't tell you that I used to have violent seizures, you would never know, because I am no different from anyone else. Do I tell people??? Yes, I tell people, because I have no reason to hide it. I have overcome that, and it has made me into the person that I am today.

Now, here is where I feel that the laws discriminate against me. The laws state that if you are taking medication for seizures, you are not allowed to get a CDL license. My seizures are fully controlled by my medication, and I am not any different than anyone else who takes medication for anything. Not being able to get my CDL limits my job opportunities severely. My doctor told me I will be on this medication the rest of my life. So, even though I may never have another seizure, the law states that I am not allowed to obtain a CDL...just because I am on the seizure medication. So much for equal rights. 

No comments:

Post a Comment