Saturday, June 22, 2013

Seizure Disorder Update

The other day I said I was going to have a doctor's appt. with my neurologist. I said I was planning to ask him about weaning off of the meds, and said I would post a follow-up to that visit. Well...here it is.
I asked him what the possibility of me weaning off of the meds would be, and how long I would have to be seizure free before trying that. He said that because I have such a prolonged history of seizures, and they were such a huge part of my life through my developing years that there is no chance that I will wean off of the meds. I am on them for life. It is not a case where weaning is an option even because of my history.
So...that settles that, and I don't have to think about that anymore...just keep taking my meds.
I also asked my doctor about having my VNS removed. In case you don't know what it is, a VNS is a Vagal Nerve Stimulator.  It is basically a pacemaker for my brain. There is a small "box" in my chest that has the battery and computer. Then there are wires that run up my neck and are attached to my Vagal Nerve. The battery is dead and has been for a few years, so I thought taking it out would just get rid of a foreign body from my body, and prevent possible problems.
When I asked about removing this, he looked at me like I was crazy. He said if its not infected, there's no reason to take it out. So after that appointment, both of the things I asked about I was told were not going to happen. But I did get my prescription refilled...so I guess it was a profitable appointment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment